Our Makeup Obsessions

4.9.14

(pic cred: weheartit)

This is going to be a rambling post as I've half planned it, but please feel free to comment your thoughts on what I'm talking about. :)

Whenever we slap on our makeup in the mornings, carefully blend in eye shadows, practice perfecting the cat eye flick (which to be honest is the hardest thing ever) or gawking at that latest mascara that just hit the shelves - then buying it on impulse. Do we ever think how our love for makeup have grown and how beauty trends influence our choices on how we look, what we use and whether that old MAC lipstick is in trend for the new season? A lot of what I use for makeup, has been recommended by other bloggers. (Zoella, Zoe London and The Sunday Girl - I'm looking at you guys!) I just pop into Boots and spend time looking at what's new, looks good or makes me look like a pineapple. And thank goodness I tried that Sleek foundation on my palm before buying it or I would have got a lot of questions...

Apart from drugstore brands like Maybelline, Sleek or Revlon, I think a lot of our taste is based around the more pricey brands like MAC and Urban Decay to look our best. These kind of brands survive on makeup mad people and bloggers who review and promote their products. What matters to us is the pigmentation, lasting effect or if it makes us look cakey. To get straight to the point, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I love the fact that makeup is a major love of ours, I love looking good and spending my money on products I know I will use everyday. Adding a pop of colour to our faces gives us great confidence to go out, and hiding our imperfections with concealer helps us to feel more better and ready to face the day. But in all honesty, would we be able to survive without it? I think on certain days where we're not going out and you're in a lazy mood, it's acceptable but when we're at a party, would we go bare and show the imperfections we have? Today, we would never think of doing it, as that thin layer of foundation is a matter of looking flawless or a pale zombie. (In my case haha)

Sometimes, makeup can even be therapeutic, if we're feeling down, we can apply our favourite products and feel better. It certainly helps me get through a bad day, and when you're tired in the evening, the best part is when you remove your makeup. You can use all these sorts of products to soothe and remove any remaining bits of makeup from our skin, and helps us feel revitalised and fresh. To be honest, I don't know where I'm going with my post but I just wanted to put my thoughts out there on what makeup means to me. Makeup has been going since as early as the 1930s, and I guess we follow what our mothers have done or be inspired to by celebrities to look a certain way. When brands push their new products in our faces, be it foundation or a lipstick, they are able to sell it to us and suddenly it's the must-have of the season. If makeup didn't exist, what would we blog about? How would we conceal that little red patch on our face that never goes away? The only answer I can give is I think we would have only had to learn to love our imperfections.

--

Hopefully you liked this post, if so, let me know in the comments and I might do more like these. But with an actual plan and not rambling on! x



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you guys for all your lovely, I love to read and reply to them all! :) xx

Subscribe