The Alibi Book Club #17 | Autumn Reads


-- Snuggle down with a couple of good 'uns --

I thought it was only right to hit up Waterstones and buy a couple of books for the season. After all, we'll soon be hidden under blankets with a hot chocolate and we need something to keep us preoccupied. Who hates to hibernate and be bored at the same time?? The two books I picked up seem to be pretty popular, and after reading reviews on goodreads, I thought I may as well get them. Plus their covers look autumnal right?

The first of the two books are How To Be Both by Ali Smith. I've seen soo many good things said about this one that I had to pick it up. I also fell in love with the 60s photo on the cover! I've actually just started reading it now, and so far it's pretty good. (It might end up in my favourites later...) It's one of those books that doesn't have any speech marks for the dialogue so it just flows through, which actually kind of makes it more enjoyable and easier to read and the character of Georgia (George) is very likeable. I also feel very indie tumblr reading this haha.

"How to be both is a novel all about art's versatility. Borrowing from painting's fresco technique to make an original literary double-take, it's a fast-moving genre-bending conversation between forms, times, truths and fictions. There's a renaissance artist of the 1460s. There's the child of a child of the 1960s. Two tales of love and injustice twist into a singular yarn where time gets timeless, structural gets playful, knowing gets mysterious, fictional gets real - and all life's givens get given a second chance."

Next up is Purity by Jonathan Franzen. This one popped up on Waterstone's bestsellers, so it was a good indication for me to add it to my to read list. It's quite thick, so hopefully it'll last me through October and I'll try and update you guys on whether it's good or not!

"Pip Tyler doesn't know who she is. She knows that her real name is Purity, that she's saddled with student debt and a reclusive mother, but there are few clues as to who her father is or how she'll ever have a normal life. Then she meets Andreas Wolf - internet outlaw, charismatic provocateur, a man who deals in secrets and might just be able to help her solve the mystery of her origins."


What books have you picked up recently?

0 Comentarios

Thank you guys for all your lovely comments! *all the hugs!*