Are We Becoming Too Addicted To Social Media?


Why do we feel the need to keep updated?

I wake up. Get ready for the day and then check my twitter/instagram before having breakfast. And then I have another check on the way to work before getting my book out. Another check in my break. And then in the evening after dinner, I'll stay on and off while watching YouTube and Netflix till 9pm and then switch everything off. Then an hour of reading before lights out at 10pm.

Does that sound like too much? Can you guys relate to that?


For me it's become a different kind of 'addiction' in recent years. Before it was to see what my friends were up to and who was talking about what in online fan bases like the Diamonds (Marina and the Diamonds). Now I have a blog, it's to check my twitter to see what bloggers are up to, to see if I got any notifications - and how many, updating my instagram and checking how well my blog posts and videos are doing.

And I keep doing it. Every day and every week. And I admit I am going on it less and there was even a point last week when I didn't look at instagram for two days. BUT that's not to say I nor we have no addiction. I admire those who are able to take a two or three week break from everything - especially if it's their job. If you're earning money from your online presence then it can be even harder to break the habit and 'live in the moment' as they say.



EVEN when I'm not online, in the back of my mind I'm still thinking about social media. What I'm going to tweet and promote, what posts to write, what video to film and whether my instagram is looking ok. I might be a perfectionist in that aspect haha. So, I'm guessing this post is the point where I come to realise I need to strip my activity back a bit. I'm already posting a bit less on here, and I want to aim to walk more, read even more and maybe do something different. (To keep off my phone for the past two days I've been working on my scrapbook and it's been so much fun!)

What can we do as bloggers and internet people to cut our addiction from checking social media? Where can we find that thrill of getting so many notifications and likes on a tweet/pic?

Well, we could try limiting our usage to so many hours a day, maybe a morning and evening only check in, then switch our phones off. And talking of Marina, she's created a beautiful new blog and highlighted on all this in her post here. I'm for sure going to take a leaf out of her book and try and live my life in the moment more. And not constantly on my blog and the internet...

What's your opinion on the subject?


4 Comentarios

  1. This is an interesting post. I do feel like social media addiction can be a real issue when you're a blogger! In fact even non-bloggers must be on their social media all the time, even just to keep updated on friends as you mentioned or to look up famous people/artists and so on - this is where the Kardashians' fame comes from in a way.
    It's great that you're switching everything off an hour before going to bed - a good habit a lot of us should take too haha!

    Julia x
    Last Post: My Autumn Makeup Look | http://juliaspeaksbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/2017/11/beauty-my-autumnal-makeup-look-2017.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Julia! And that is true! I thought I’d do something different as I’ve been thinking about it a lot haha xx

      Delete
  2. This is such a good read! I think in this day and age we really struggle with social media and the need to keep in the loop with everything! I can't help but check my phone now and again but so often throughout the day so I don't miss things :) xx

    Yasmina | The July Journal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! And I’m doing exactly that as I’m on my break at work haha

      Delete

Thank you guys for all your lovely comments! *all the hugs!*