The Alibi Book Club #34 {Fresh Spring Reads}


Perfect reading for the longer Spring days

With Spring just around the corner, and the fact that I've sorted through my shelves and given the books I no longer enjoy away.

I thought I should, y'know...

Treat myself to a load more books.

As you do.

I decided to go for the ones that not only had the prettiest covers, but also sounded completely different to what I've read before. And I can just imagine myself sitting long into the late spring evening getting lost in one of these. (Because being glued to social media isn't healthy!!)

SOOO without further ado, here's what's been added to freshen up my bookshelf.

001: imogen hermes gowar - the mermaid and mrs. hancock:
Reading the synopsis of this book very much reminds me of a fairytale - and The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton. It sounds like it's full of mystery and magic and I can't wait to read it.

"One September evening in 1785, the merchant Jonah Hancock finds one of his captains waiting eagerly on his doorstep. He has sold Jonah's ship for what appears to be a mermaid.

As gossip spreads through the docks, coffee shops, parlours and brothels, everyone wants to see Mr Hancock's marvel. Its arrival spins him out of his ordinary existence and through the doors of high society, where he meets Angelica Neal, the most desirable woman he has ever laid eyes on... and a courtesan of great accomplishment. This meeting will steer both their lives onto a dangerous new course.

What will be the cost of their ambitions?

And will they be able to escape the legendary destructive power a mermaid is said to possess?"

002: georgia clark - the regulars:
Is it just me? Or does this book remind you of that Meryl Streep film? If you know, you know...

"Best friends Evie, Krista and Willow are just trying to make it through their mid-twenties in New York. They're regular girls with typical quarter life crises: making it up the corporate ladder, making sense of online dating, and making rent.

Until they come across Pretty, a magic tincture that makes them, well ...gorgeous. With a single drop, each young woman gets the gift of jaw-dropping beauty for one week, presenting them with unimaginable opportunities to make their biggest fantasies come true.


But there's a dark side to Pretty, too, and as the gloss fades for these modern-day Cinderellas, there's just one question left: what are they prepared to sacrifice?"

003: zadie smith - white teeth:
This one has been on my 'to read' list for a couple of months now, so I was so stoked to pick it up. Zadie Smith has been talked about a lot, so I wanted to jump on the bandwagon and read one of her books too!

"One of the most talked about debut novels of all time, White Teeth is a funny, generous, big-hearted novel, adored by critics and readers alike. Dealing - among many other things - with friendship, love, war, three cultures and three families over three generations, one brown mouse, and the tricky way the past has of coming back and biting you on the ankle, it is a life-affirming, riotous must-read of a book."

004: chloe benjamin - the immortalists:
This plot sounds so interesting - and much like a Netflix series... (I'm starting to see a theme with my book haul omg) More mystery is coming my way yaaay.

"It's 1969, and holed up in a grimy tenement building in New York's Lower East Side is a travelling psychic who claims to be able to tell anyone the date they will die. The four Gold children, too young for what they're about to hear, sneak out to learn their fortunes.

Over the years that follow, the siblings must choose how to live with the prophecies the fortune-teller gave them that day. Will they accept, ignore, cheat or defy them?

Golden-boy Simon escapes to San Francisco, searching for love; dreamy Klara becomes a Las Vegas magician; eldest son Daniel tries to control fate as an army doctor after 9/11; and bookish Varya looks to science for the answers she craves."

005: david mitchell - cloud atlas:
I picked this up because the cover was pink (lol) but this actually sounds so interesting and the kind of book that I'm enjoying reading at the moment.

"Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies…

Six interlocking lives - one amazing adventure. In a narrative that circles the globe and reaches from the 19th century to a post-apocalyptic future, Cloud Atlas erases the boundaries of time, genre and language to offer an enthralling vision of humanity's will to power, and where it will lead us."

I'll keep you guys updated if any of these are an instant favourite in my next post (or video!)

What books have you guys bought recently?

Follow

0 Comentarios

Thank you guys for all your lovely comments! *all the hugs!*