Album of the Month: Marina and the Diamonds // FROOT


-- The queen has released a new album
and I'm in love with it --

I've been massive fan of Marina and the Diamonds' music for a few years now, probably since 2012 (the year she released Electra Heart), so I was obviously so stoked to get her new album. If you're a fan, you might have heard of the album leak, and yes I did listen to it, but I was so determined to buy the physical copy that the leak made me even more excited. Or maybe that was a calm way of saying that as soon as I bought it, I screamed 'I got it!' and ran across the shop to my friends. It was out on Monday, so it's a pretty new release and it's a total level up from her previous two albums.

In many interviews, her music in this album has been described as electro pop. I do agree as there are elements of guitar, drums and the wonderful beats and harmonies. If you're confused by the title of FROOT, don't be. It's just a lovely cool way of saying 'Fruit' - according to Marina. (There may also be a meaning behind it, but I don't know...)

On the album, Marina said in an interview: "It's also centred around extremely different things; half of the album is about a relationship that I had to end. It's not something I feel good about, and it's not something I'd really addressed before in my songwriting. In pop music in general it's always this spurned ex-lover type of thing, but this time it wasn't that at all. It was more like the guilt that you have to deal with that comes from hurting someone else. It's just as hard as being rejected or dumped."

I do think it does have darker elements to the album, especially with 'Savages', and it's honestly my favourite song. It explores the rape culture and the way we act in society, and the first verse refers to the Boston Bombings. The title track 'FROOT' is upbeat and reminds me of an 80s pop tune, I don't know but I love it and it's completely lyrically genius. It's a must if you want to get to know the feel of the album. 'Happy' and 'Immortal' are a reflection of Marina's progression from depression and how she found happiness, I love it, and in a way like many interviewers have said, FROOT is a progression on from her first: The Family Jewels.

--

Recommended Songs:
FROOT
Savages
Forget

--

For fans of: Sky Ferreira, Lana Del Rey

--

The other album reviews: The Family Jewels, Electra Heart

♡ 

0 Comentarios

Thank you guys for all your lovely comments! *all the hugs!*