What I Really Think Of The Retro Luxe Lip Kit



A Kylie lip kit dupe or flop?

Hi my name is Fran, and I'm obsessed with liquid lipsticks. And I wasn't one of those people that were prepared to pay like £15 plus customs to get a Kylie lip kit... I have better things to spend my money on than get a product from across the world. So, when Makeup Revolution released their Retro Luxe lip kits, you can imagine I was pretty stoked - and happy I could get my hands on a dupe!

Yesterday, yep, I'm that eager to tell you what I think, I went to Superdrug and had a little nosey at what they offered. First up, all the boxes were open. I guess everyone realised that the colours of these matte lipsticks don't match the colours on the boxes. Which meant I had to open the opened ones myself to see which I liked - I can't complain about this because I found a pretty nude pink (called Reign) that looked better than what was represented on the box! £6 later and I had my dupe...

On first glance, the box and packaging is all really nice, rose gold and minimal. Very Makeup Revolution I would say, and inside you get a lip liner and a liquid matte lipstick. The lip liner is darker that the lipstick which I guess is to create a contrast or what the brand call a 'contour'. Now this is where the fun starts - or rather the disaster... After the first picture was taken, I opened up the lip liner, and no word of a lie, the top fell off...

So, I just used the fallen off bit to show the colour in the second picture. I then tried to sharpen it, but it just kept crumbling till eventually there was a literal hole inside the pencil. What. Now, I'm not one to exaggerate (ok, maybe I am because my mum calls me a drama queen) but if you pay nearly £10 for something, you expect a fair amount of product. Where was it, I ask with arms flailing in the air. I have no clue, but all I can guess is that I got that one out of a 1,000 that was made crap.

*Wipes brow* Ok, let's see if the actual lipstick is good... It applied well, but looked soo weird and too light against the lip liner. (Yeah, I used the broken off bit to line my lips haha) In a way, I'd probably not wear them together, but I've sort of grown used to how it looks. Meh. Also, this was supposed to be a matte lip. More like a sticky lip.... It sort of dried to a matte consistency but turned out rather sticky. I would usually say I don't mind, but when you've grown used to the lovely quality of NYX liquid mattes, this is a no go. It also looked weird, streaky and it's a real shame because I really loved the colour...

This was the longest review I've done ever, but I had to get my thoughts out. I might have just picked up a faulty one and the others aren't too bad. But in reality, I won't be getting this again. I regret parting with £6 but glad I didn't get more. MR... just stick to your eyeshadow palettes. (Or do better quality testing... Although it has amazing staying power haha)

Have you guys tried these lip kits yet??

Follow

12 Comentarios

  1. It has a really nice design, I´d like to try it anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the design as well but I don't know whether to buy another in case this one was the odd faulty one :/

      Delete
  2. I've tried it too but in the shade noble, and the lip liner was not like that at all for me. I personally prefer the lip liner, as it's really creamy and easy to put on, but for the liquid lipstick, I totally agree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I gathered from the bit that broke off, it was creamy and nice - it's just a shame it didn't live up to the standard that Makeup Revolution are generally at...

      Delete
  3. I ordered one yesterday after there was finally one in stock online, I hoping it's good because like you I don't have the money to be spending on Kylie product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *fingers crossed your one is ok!* do let me know if the lip liner is good in your one, and then I'll probably consider repurchasing it!

      Delete
  4. I'm not sure I'll be trying these out - I do love a dupe but they don't sound great! Although I'm not willing to pay for a kylie lip kit either haha!

    Lucy | Forever September

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think just getting a lip liner and a liquid lipstick separately from a brand like Nyx is a close as you could get to perfection that isn't Kylie!

      Delete
  5. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw them for £6 in Superdrug and the quality is so good too!! I really want to pick one or two of the shades up but it's going to have to wait until payday, Reign has been one of the colours I have been eyeing up as well so it's nice to see it swatched :) xx

    Yasmina | The July Journal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome!! They are no doubt a bargain, I'm not completely slating this product but this would have been a positive review if it wasn't for the lip liner haha

      Delete
  6. You're definitely not alone, I read another review exactly the same! I'd really recommend the Barry M Matte Me Up lip kits as they're much better quality xx

    Gemma ♡ Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not alone then haha - I'll for sure check out the Barry M ones!! x

      Delete

Thank you guys for all your lovely comments! *all the hugs!*