Why Decluttering Is Good For The Soul


Do listen to the sudden hype

To be honest, I have no idea whether the whole decluttering trend has come about because of the New Year, or that Marie Kondo Netflix series.

But it has.

And there's everything from blog posts, insta updates to even Youtube videos where people choose a part of their house and take viewers through their mess of stuff - and get rid of bits in the process.

I for one, am jumping on the bandwagon with this one!

I'm here to talk to you guys about why decluttering is an excellent thing to do - and why it's soooo good for the soul...

Because I've been obsessed with tidying up my room.

For me, I started as it just turned 2019. And I was like 'Right, it's a new year, time to sort out this mess!' as I looked around at my actually tidy room.

Clothes was easy, and then I went around the rest of my room. I've only just got up to books now. (As I'm typing this!)

As I hauled the bags of goodies to the charity shop, I thought about all the reasons why I love doing it. And here they are...

001: create more space:
Bit of an obvious one to be honest. But as you clear out the pieces you feel you don't want or need, you'll be able to create more space. Either make room for more things (think more key pieces for a smaller wardrobe) or just have a more minimalist space around the place. For me, it was really refreshing and I love the extra space I've got.

002: you can discover things you forgot about (and fall in love with again):
Like a top I haven't worn in over a year and I wore it the other day - and loved it. Not only that, you can decide if you deserve that Primark spree or to hang on till next season. I mean, I've got PLENTY of jumpers. This even applies to things like makeup, books, etc.



003: tidy house, tidy mind:
It feels so good to see all the things you're giving away to be gone and a tidier space is in its place. I think that's partly why I'm kind of addicted to it, because I love the feeling of not having something I don't really love taking up space. And then I want to spend more time in it.

004: it's a great addiction:
Ok, I know addictions in general are considered bad. But hear me out. Once you get started on decluttering one part of your room, you'll want to do the WHOLE PLACE. Because it's satisfying, it makes you feel happy and you can then bring fresh new things in to it. Like a vase a fresh flowers in place of where a pile of old magazines lived... (I already want to do it again) Plus you can declutter every season, not just in the new year! Woooo.

Do you guys love decluttering?

Follow

12 Comentarios

  1. I absolutely love cleaning/decluttering my room, it really helps to clear my mind!

    Lucy | Forever September

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the most refreshing activity eveeeer x

      Delete
  2. Great post! After watching Marie Kondo on Netflix I was inspired to declutter so I think she was a big influencer in this trend.

    https://perlasancheza.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! And thank you so much xx

      Delete
  3. I'm a chronic nester - forever decluttering and making sure everything is in my home for a reason!

    Thank you for your kind words about my new poem. So glad it resonated with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely feel the same! I do a declutter every season to be honest. And you've very welcome! <3

      Delete
  4. I may just go and do a GIANT declutter after reading this! My trouble is that i declutter at the weekend... and by the next weekend i'm back to square one. But i think that could be a sign that i simply have TOO much stuff, or need to find a better place to put it all! You're also spot on about discovering things, i found a bottle of shampoo and it saved me having to fork out a small fortune in lush for a new one :P

    Bumble and Be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a promisingly satisfying weekend haha! What I do is as soon as I declutter, I take what I don't want to the charity shops or give it to family. A handy tip I found was investing in iKea storage boxes - the foldable fabric ones! They're a life saver for storing cables, shoes and all my recipe books haha x

      Delete
  5. I really need to start decluttering my space too! Seems like a great habit to have. It definitely makes you realise you have so much stuff that you completely forgot about haha. In the long run, you end up saving money too because you stop buying and make use of what you already have! :)

    Julia x
    Last Post: Why I Fell Back in Love With Fashion Basics | https://juliaspeaksbeauty.blogspot.com/2019/01/fashion-why-i-fell-back-in-love-with.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really does! I found a couple of things I forgot about and am about to save some money! Though to be fair, things like clothes, if they're too big or old I will go out of my way to replace haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a good declutter session! It always makes me feel calmer, but I hate throwing things away haha xx

    Gemma • Gemma Etc . ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it as well for that calm feeling! And I used to but if I haven’t used it/read it/worn it for over a year or two... it’s going lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you guys for all your lovely comments! *all the hugs!*