The Alibi Book Club #24 | Favourites For The Season


Three reads for cosy evenings

Now that we can fully immerse ourselves into the season of Autumn, there's one thing that I LOVE doing above all else at this time of year. If it's a dark day, in the afternoon I'll cover myself with a throw, put on the fire, make a coffee and maybe even have a biscuit and settle down for an hour or so with a book. The tv will be on but I keep it on low just for background noise and then it's an afternoon of bliss.

I thought I would put three favourite books in one post to get you inspired to do this yourself as I've done it with all three. And even though I'm halfway through Autumn, Smith is one of my favourite authors so I had to include her book in a post asap...

001: Rachel B. Glaser - Paulina & Fran:
Having seen a review on this from Vivatramp (who might I add is amazing at book reviews), I knew I had to snap this up. And not just because my name is on it. Even though it's a smaller book than I usually go for, it was worth the opening the front cover as you so easily love hearing the voices from the two main characters.

"Sharp-tongued, fearsome Paulina meets lovely, listless Fran one night at a house party held near their privileged New England art school. Together they drift through their classes, critique their fellow students, lavish attention on their curls and nurture their shared dreams of genius. But when their burgeoning friendship tips from intensity into enmity our two heroines find themselves cast out from the halcyon days of art school, divided from one another and set adrift in the increasingly disappointing world of adulthood."

002: Ali Smith - Autumn:
You can probably guess why I picked this up. Yep, it's because it turned September and I was sooo eager to get something with the name of the season on. And I mean the cover is pretty as well. It's not generally about the season itself, but what happens within it. Smith is as good as ever with her poetic prose and bringing a story together. If you read just one out of these, choose this!

"Autumn. Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness. That's what it felt like for Keats in 1819. How about Autumn 2016? Daniel is a century old. Elisabeth, born in 1984, has her eye on the future. The United Kingdom is in pieces, divided by a historic once-in-a-generation summer. Love is won, love is lost. Hope is hand in hand with hopelessness. The seasons roll round, as ever."

003: Sue Monk Kidd - The Secret Life Of Bees:
A classic, that I consider, that I've been meaning to read for aaageees. I never normally go for this particular kind of book, but I want to expand my topics of reading and I really enjoyed this. Plus a couple of friends said it was amazing. So take their word for it too.

"Lily has grown up believing she accidentally killed her mother when she was four. She not only has her own memory of holding the gun, but her father's account of the event. Now fourteen, she yearns for her mother, and for forgiveness. Living on a peach farm in South Carolina with her father, she has only one friend: Rosaleen, a black servant whose sharp exterior hides a tender heart. South Carolina in the sixties is a place where segregation is still considered a cause worth fighting for. When racial tension explodes one summer afternoon, and Rosaleen is arrested and beaten, Lily is compelled to act. Fugitives from justice and from Lily's harsh and unyielding father, they follow a trail left by the woman who died ten years before. Finding sanctuary in the home of three beekeeping sisters, Lily starts a journey as much about her understanding of the world, as about the mystery surrounding her mother."


What books are you reading at the moment?

Follow

0 Comentarios

Thank you guys for all your lovely comments! *all the hugs!*