Why It's Ok To Just 'Not Know'


Avoiding the early mid life crisis

The fact that I'm now 20 doesn't put as many shivers in me as it did before it arrived... For some reason it seemed to me that as soon as it smacked me in the face, I'd be seen as a failure of some sort for not knowing what I want to do with my life. And before you shake me and scream that my life hasn't really begun yet, hear me out!

If you've not been reading my blog for long, let me fill you in. I HATED year 13 with a vengeance (and there are endless blog posts about me complaining sorry) but none of the teachers were really supportive and I felt so lost while all my friends were applying for uni. Because if you wanted to do something that wasn't uni, i.e. trying to get an apprenticeship, you were just thrown on the pile of 'we're not going to bother to help them'. FYI after endless applications, I never got an apprenticeship and I'm now working in retail.

Which don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the job I'm in and the fact that I can build up my savings for the future, but this isn't where I want to stay forever. And that's when the fear comes in. Do I want to work my way up in my current job? Or do I want to pursue my passion of creativity that I have no degree in? Should I go to college and get qualifications or apply for more apprenticeships??

You can imagine that I was in a panic, because my vision at 18 in the sixth form common room was to be in the beginnings of a career that I wanted to stay in forever at 20.

But why am I rushing? No fateful explosion happened on Monday, I'm all good. I guess, it does take time and the best way is to sit down and figure out what I reaaallyyy want to do and go for it. All my friends would tell me not to worry, and I shouldn't. And I've realised that now haha.

BASICALLY if you're like me, it's ok.

Don't know where you want to head in life, think about what you love doing in your spare time or you find yourself daydreaming about. And find your way around it. It's not too late to make 2017 your year!

(Also can I mention my new Lazy Oaf dress that I'm wearing, it's a dream isn't it?)

Comment down below your dream job!

Follow

6 Comentarios

  1. Love this post, I always thought at 20 I would have everything sorted but I'm so wrong. It's still so young and there's so much ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's crazy to think I'm now a legit adult now... I still feel 16 :'D

      Delete
  2. I definitely think its okay to not know what you want to do, because god knows what I want to do after uni (which I start in September)!

    Lucy | Forever September

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard! I'm just starting to get an idea now but I'm not entirely sure! And omg good luck! :D

      Delete
  3. That is a very mature and true post! Figuring out what you want to do by your early twenties is really hard, and, working in an English school, I feel like there's way too much pressure on students to do well, saying that it will affect their lives forever. But that is wrong, and you've got time to figure out what you want to do. We can take time, try things out and change if they don't work out as we wanted, change paths and jobs - basically, let's all avoid social pressure and do things at our own pace, it makes it all much more enjoyable and stress-free! :D

    Julia x
    Last Post: A Holiday in Rome, Italy | http://juliaspeaksbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/roman-holiday-pt1.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and what you've said is very helpful! To be honest I think it's wrong for schools to put pressure on students because not everyone, like me, has it 'all figured out!' :) xx

      Delete

Thank you guys for all your lovely comments! *all the hugs!*