The Only Pumpkin Pie Recipe You Need To Try



Autumn baking at its best

This pie (and also this post) has been a year long wait. I was DYING to bake a pumpkin pie last Autumn, but my friends, the struggle was real when I was trying to find tinned pumpkin puree... BUT guys, this year was a resounding success!! *halloween themed poppers* I managed to find a whole bunch of tins in Tesco this year and obviously snapped up two.

This recipe takes one whole tin, so keeping one aside for another go was kind of a risk. But in all honesty, even though it doesn't look like that standard pumpkin pie with neon orange filling, it still tastes just as good. Well, from what I've concluded anyway. Hint: think of pumpkin spice in a pie and you have the taste spot on.



I took this recipe from Tanya Burr's baking book - as always - and this is actually an American recipe. Because they make their pastry so differently to us, it felt weird, but even with my average skills at pastry, I managed to pull it off. And the filling was the easiest bit!

If you want to make a pumpkin pie as wholesome, filling and so warming and autumnal as this. Like you reaaaalllyyyy need to bake this, then read on... (I mean, look at it! And I know it looks kind of puffy but I promise when it was fully cooled it looked like a proper pumpkin pie!)


001: Ingredients:

For the pastry:
170g plain flour (and extra for dusting)
30g cold unsalted butter
55g cold vegetable fat

For the filling:
1 tin pumpkin puree
3 eggs
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
200ml double cream
100g golden caster sugar

002: Method:

1. In a bowl, mix the butter, vegetable fat and butter with your fingers until it forms bread crumbs, add 3 tablespoons of cold water and make a ball of pastry. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.

2. Preheat the oven to 190 degree celcius/Gas Mark 5. Then thinly roll out the pastry on a floured work surface to 2-3mm thick and line a 25cm round loose-bottomed tart tin with it, while leave excess hanging off the edge.

3. Gently press the sides and line the pastry with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove the beans and paper. Prick base with fork and bake for a further 10 minutes. And after, trim the excess off to create a neat edge.

4. For the filling, in a bowl mix all the filling ingredients until it forms a smooth and light texture. Then transfer to the pastry case, smooth out and bake for 40 minutes until golden and wobbles slightly in the middle.

5. Leave to cool slightly, then put on a wire rack to fully cool completely. Then serve with ice cream or a drizzle of double cream. Though it does taste best the day after baking!

And if you guys want even more pumpkin pie, then do watch the video of me actually baking it! I promise you won't not be entertained lmao...


Have you guys done any autumnal bakes?

Follow

4 Comentarios

  1. This pie looks so yummy! I'm not a fan of pumpkin flavour but this sounds too good, especially with the cinnamon. Whenever autumn and winter arrive, I'm all about the cinnamon! haha
    Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    Julia x
    Last Post: Why I Am Buying Less | http://juliaspeaksbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/lifestyle-why-i-am-buying-less.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s ok! And cinnamon and ginger make everything taste better :D

      Delete
  2. This is so perfectly autumnal it kills me, it looks amazing! The only time I've ever baked with pumpkin would be pumpkin scones that my mum used to make, but I've always felt like going full out American for once and trying to make something like this.

    Julia // The Sunday Mode

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh pumpkin scones sound amazing! :o You should defo try this next! It IS very autumnal haha x

      Delete

Thank you guys for all your lovely comments! *all the hugs!*