The Alibi Book Club #32 | Reads For The Christmas Season


Book tidings of comfort and joy

The book part of my blog is about to get suuuuper festive...

And this year's selection of the reads you should enjoy at the moment is a whole host of new purchases and a couple of classics!

These are all really cosy reads in their own right, and are perfect for the journey to work, winding down in the evening and in the afternoon with a lovely mug of warming coffee.

Read on to add these to your Christmas 'to read' list...

001: ali smith - winter:
This is a novel with a difference. I've read Autumn, and this one was next on my list. It does feature the season of Christmas and winter, but it highlights more on a relationship within a family and their own personal views on their lives, relationships with each other and political matters. (I.e. brexit) If you're looking for an unconventional festive read, give this a go.

"Winter.

Bleak. Frosty wind, earth as iron, water as stone, so the old song goes.

The shortest days, the longest nights. The trees are bare and shivering. The summer's leaves? Dead litter. The world shrinks; the sap sinks.

But winter makes things visible. And if there's ice, there'll be fire."

002: jeanette winterson - christmas days:
The newest addition to my book shelf!! I got this with my Waterstones card points and what attracted me was the creative and cute cover and the fact that it's supposed to be a laugh - and has 12 short Christmas stories. I'm so excited to get stuck into this one!

"Jeanette Winterson has written a new story at Christmas time and here she brings together twelve of her brilliantly imaginative, funny, and bold tales, along with twelve delicious recipes for the twelve days of Christmas."

003: heidi swain - mince pies and mistletoe at the christmas market:
Hands down a classic of mine to read! If you love Christmas markets and sweet cheesy reads, you'll LOVE THIS! If you've read novels from the likes of Jenny Colgan and Lindsey Kelk, this will be right up your street. And it's set in a lovely English town...

"Ruby has finished with university and is heading home for the holidays to save up for her trip around the world in January. Against her father's wishes, she takes on a stall at the local market, and sets about making it the best Christmas market stall ever. There'll be bunting and mistletoe and maybe even a bit of mulled wine.

But with a new retail park just opened on their doorstep, the market is under threat. So together with all the other stallholders, Ruby devises a plan to make sure that Wynbridge is the first port of call for everyone's Christmas shopping needs.


The only thing standing in her way is Ruby's ex, Steve. It's pretty hard to concentrate on saving the world when he works on the stall opposite, especially when she realises that her feelings for him are still there..."


What are your fave festive reads??

Follow

6 Comentarios

  1. Lovely post Fran – I was looking forward to this one! I’ve read one Ali Smith book before and I would be interested to try something else from her. Christmas Days has the prettiest cover ever too. Mince pies and mistletoe at the Christmas market sounds like escapist bliss. I’ve been reading a whole stack of Christmas chick-lit which I got out of the library a little while ago. I’ll be uploading a haul blog post of those reads soon, if you are curious to see what I’ve been getting into. Glad you are enjoying the festive season so far! :-) xx

    Helen | Helen’s Fashion, Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh i’d love to see what you’ve read! I’m three stories into Christmas days and it’s definitely as good as it looks!

      Delete
    2. Glad you are enjoying Christmas days. That blog post I mentioned is up now if you fancy checking it out. :-) Happy reading and Merry Christmas! :-) xx

      Delete
    3. Ooh thanks I’ll have a look x

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any of these but I just added all of them to my "to read" shelf on GoodReads! I haven't read that many festive books actually. I used to always read Harry Potter at this time of the year.... 🙈 Gotta love that series!

    I recently read Let It Snow by Maureen Johnson, John Green and Lauren Myracle. I really enjoyed it but ultimately ended up wishing that the whole book had been written by Maureen😅. I'm currently reading One Christmas Kiss in Notting Hill by Mandy Baggot and I'm really enjoying it so far! She really has a way with words.

    I also bought myself two festive books for Christmas: Alaskan Holiday by Debbie Macomber and Christmas At Cedarwood Lodge by Rebecca Raisin. I can't wait to read them!

    Anu | Based On blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh that sounds like an amazing haul of reads and One Christmas Kiss sounds like a cute festive read! x

      Delete

Thank you guys for all your lovely comments! *all the hugs!*