The Alibi Book Club #28 | A Little Spring Book Haul


Books I spent my bday money on

I have to say, my book shelf - or shelves - are getting pretty full so I had to sort through them and decided to sacrifice my Twilight book series. Just seeing them on my shelf makes me cringe to be honest.

So with those gone to the charity shop, it only seemed appropriate to use some of my birthday money on some books that have been on my 'to read' list for the loooongest time.

I picked up four and they came to around £18 which is kind of insane considering how much books cost now, but I reached 10 stamps on my Waterstones card AND there was a buy one get one half price.

(Kind of miss the good old three for two days *weeps*)

But anywaaaays kids, these are the four books I picked up! If the descriptions convince you to read one of these then do let me know in the comments!!

001: laura dockrill - big bones:
This one is the latest edition to my goodreads list, but it was featured in the Lush Book Club (Lush Cosmetic's book club fyi) recently and it's a young adult fiction that sounded right up my street. I don't think I'll ever not read YA fiction depending on what it's about...

"Introducing Bluebelle, and her moving, hilarious take on food, body image and how we look after ourselves and others. It's a food diary. I have to tell the truth. That's the point. Bluebelle, aka BB, aka Big Bones - is a sixteen-year-old girl encouraged to tackle her weight even though she's perfectly happy, thank you, and getting on with her life and in love with food. Then a tragedy in the family forces BB to find a new relationship with her body and herself. . . Tuck in for best mates, belly laughs, boys and the best bakewell tart."

002: elif batuman - the idiot:
Again, another book club feature, but this time from oh comely!

"Selin, a tall, highly strung Turkish-American from New Jersey turns up at Harvard and finds herself dangerously overwhelmed by the challenges and possibilities of adulthood. She studies linguistics and literature, teaches ESL and spends a lot of time thinking about what language - and languages - can and cannot do. Along the way she befriends Svetlana, a cosmopolitan Serb, and obsesses over Ivan, a mathematician from Hungary. The two conduct a hilarious relationship that culminates with Selin spending the summer teaching English in a Hungarian village and enduring a series of surprising excursions. Throughout her journeys, Selin ponders profound questions about how culture and language shape who we are, how difficult it is to be a failed writer, and how baffling love is."

003: sally rooney - conversations with friends:
I'm quite drawn to books that feature characters that are the same age as me. Kind of makes it more relatable in a way... Also the colour of this will add to the yellow section of my shelves. I have made my books a rainbow!! (see my book insta highlights)

"Frances, Bobbi, Nick and Melissa ask each other endless questions. As their relationships unfold, in person and online, they discuss sex and friendship, art and literature, politics and gender, and, of course, one another. Twenty-one-year-old Frances is at the heart of it all, bringing us this tale of a complex menage-a-quatre and her affair with Nick, an older married man."

004: carrie hope fletcher - all that she can see:
I've only ever read Carrie's sister's novels like Billy and Me, so it was about time I read one of her books. And this one sounds amazing, with a girl called Cherry who owns a bakery and has some sort of magic talent oooh. It kind of reminds me of The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake but a happier version haha.

"Cherry has a hidden talent. She can see things other people can't and she decided a long time ago to use this skill to help others. As far as the rest of the town is concerned she's simply the kind-hearted young woman who runs the local bakery, but in private she uses her gift to add something special to her cakes so that after just one mouthful the townspeople start to feel better about their lives. They don't know why they're drawn to Cherry's bakery - they just know that they're safe there and that's how Cherry likes it. She can help them in secret and no one will ever need to know the truth behind her gift. And then Chase turns up and threatens to undo all the good Cherry has done. Because it turns out she's not the only one who can see what she sees . . ."


What books have you guys picked up recently?

Follow

2 Comentarios

  1. My birthday is at the end of this month and I think I'm gonna treat myself to a few new books as well! The Idiot and All That She Can See both sound like something I'd enjoy!
    I finished My Not So Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella and I really enjoyed that one, now I'm reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince as I want to read the Cursed Child but wanted to reread the series before that :)x

    Anu | Based On blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not read that book by Sophie Kinsella, I might buy it soon! ALSO happy birthday for the end of the month hehe xx

      Delete

Thank you guys for all your lovely comments! *all the hugs!*